FACILITIES MANAGERKEY FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
Facilities managers make sure that buildings and residential compounds their services meet the needs of their occupants and users as efficiently, safely and cost effectively as possible.
You could work as a facilities manager in either the public or private sector, and could have another job title such as site manager or contracts manager. Your duties would vary widely depending on the job, but would typically include:
• Making sure that the inside of the building is arranged to make the best use of space
• Managing refurbishment, renovations and office moves
• Managing general upkeep and maintenance
• Making sure that buildings meet health and safety standards and legal requirements
• Advising on energy efficiency
• Managing facilities such as cleaning, waste disposal, catering and parking
• Managing budgets and keeping expenditure records
• Negotiating the best deals with outside contractors and suppliers
• Managing security
• Making sure those IT systems such as computers, telephones, photocopiers and faxes, work effectively.
HOURS AND ENVIRONMENT
You would work around 40 hours a week, usually 9am to 5pm, but you may sometimes need to work extra hours, for example to deal with emergencies.
You would be office based, but may have to do some travelling.
SKILLS AND INTERESTS
• Good organizational skills
• Good spoken and written communication skills
• The ability to develop working relationships with a wide range of people
• Customer and client management skills
• The ability to manage a varied and complex workload
• Technical knowledge of building services
• Management skills
• The ability to control large budgets
• Problem solving and decision making ability
• IT skills.
You would need both technical skills related to property, and relevant management skills such as business strategy, budget and cost control, and people management. You could get these in one or more of the following ways:
• A foundation degree, BTEC HND or degree in facilities management.
• Other degree/HND subjects such as management and business studies
• Relevant professional qualifications, such as chartered surveyor, accountant, hospitality professional
• Experience in a relevant field, such as construction, building services, engineering, accountancy, hospitality or healthcare.
Kindly send your updated CV along with recent photo to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the position in the subject area. Please note that emails with different or no subject will be automatically disregarded